Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sick Computer


Vacation is Over

I came back from vacation and my home computer did not work correctly. Most of my Vista sidebar gadgets did not display properly. I could not see my router's web interface correctly. McAfee's interface was blank.

I used System Restore to revert to an earlier time. Everything worked - for a short while. I tried again going back to an earlier date. Everything worked - for a short time. I tried again, but all my System Restores had disappeared.

Finally, a web search found that sometimes some DLL's become "unregistered". I built a bat file with the following:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll

I executed this as administrator. Everything worked - and is still working.

If you have problems with your PC, try searching the web, if possible, before you do anything.

No comments: