Monday, February 18, 2008

Television Repair Depression

I'm back. I am depressed over my TV. I thought writing a new post might help. Later, I will get into the details concerning my television problems. Now, I am going to jump directly to my recommendations.

Before you buy a television, check the manufacturers repair reputation. Also, what will you have to do to get it repaired. Purchase the extra warranty. Most TV repairs will start out too high and only get higher.

Once you get your TV home, be sure to save your warranty information and your dated receipt. The ideal place to put this would be in a fire proof box. Keep the box in a cool spot. This is because today's receipts will often fade when exposed to heat over time.

Another possible location for the warranty information and receipt is in a small plastic bag attached to your TV. I would attach it low in the rear of the set since heat rises and you don't really want to display a plastic bag filled with paper.

The last resort for the warranty information would be in the infamous kitchen drawer. I have two filled with mostly useless paper. I didn't say I follow my advice. I just think it is good advice.

OK, what did bring me to this point of depression and talking about warranties. You probably guessed part of it. My TV is dying. I searched the Internet and believe I have found how to fix it, but that has not solved my problems.

1) I have no idea where my receipt would be. 2) I have no idea whether or not the TV is still under warranty. 3) I cannot figure how to disassemble the TV.

I bought the parts to fix the set. I need to replace four capacitors. I chickened out. How do I get to the main circuit board? If I can remove the main circuit board, will my soldering iron be hot enough to allow me to unsolder the capacitors?

With all that fear, I called a repairman.

"I have a TV that needs repair. I think I know what needs to be fixed. Usually, there are four capacitors that need to be replaced. Do you do that sort of work?"

"So you found something on the Internet and want me to do what you found. Or do you want me to fix it?"

"Well, I want it fixed, but if the problem can be fixed by replacing the capacitors, do you do that sort of work? I have dealt with some repair places who would not repair parts. They would only replace major assembles."

"Where was that? Not in Lynchburg!"

On and on this conversion continued. I will pretty much called a liar. He insisted that they would repair a part if they thought that was the right thing to do. When I bring in the TV, I will leave an $80 deposit. This will be deducted from my bill if it is over $80.

I am certain the bill will be over $80. I am also certain I will be told the main board needs to be replaced. If there are any other boards other than the main board, at least one of those will need to be replaced.

I do not know what I will do. If I had a place to work on the TV, I would take it apart even without instructions. I am 90% sure those four capacitors will fix my problem. Of course a new main board would fix it too.

Right now, I am leaning toward a new TV (a newer TV) with an extended warranty. I will carry the broken one to a place where I can disassemble it and try my disgusting Internet fix. Then again, ...

No comments: